Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Barcelona and Copenhagen

Back in May, Nathan and I decided to buy a airline ticket for me so we could lump Nate's business trip to Denmark with a trip to Spain since it didn't cost him any extra to route his trip that way and come a week early. So we were paying for my ticket and a place to stay in Barcelona. We kept it cheap by using a website that lets you rent rooms in apartments instead of going to a hotel.

Nate's Mom stayed with the boys while we were gone. We hopped on the plane the day after our seventh anniversary.

It was amazing. I loved it!

Everyday, we got breakfast at a bakery. I always bought a ham and cheese croissant and an individual size spinach quiche. Sooooo gooood! I would eat it every day if I could!

Our first day, we joined a Goudi tour.

Nate was loving it. It was beautiful!

Nate in front of the Sagrada Familia.


I guess it brought out his halo.

A view from the top.

More Gaudi...

After the tour, we went to a part of the city where every street was decorated with a different theme. 
This one was Dinosaurs.


We tried out a few museums. One about the city's ancient history. A smaller one full of oddities. And the Museu de Xocolata, the museum of chocolate. The museum gave the history of chocolate and a decent collection of chocolate sculptures. Our tickets were even chocolate, which we enjoyed as walked around. We ended our visit with real hot chocolate and bought some truffles and other chocolates from the shop.  


The Arc de Triomf

Castell de Montjuic

Museu de Nacional d'Art de Catalunya.

And again...

I was also able to break out my sketch book, pens, and watercolors a few times during our trip.
Also, I just want to say, Barcelona has the best pistachio gelato in the whole DANG world! 

We saw so much, it's hard to cover it all. After five days we flew to Copenhagen. They lost our bags for a couple days, so we had to wash our clothes over night for wearing the next day. Luckily, they got my bags back to me in time for me to take them with me on my flight home. Lots and lots of bikes. I have never seen so many bikes in my life! It was awesome. And the city was beautiful. 

Asistens Kirkegard. The cemetery where Hans Christian Andersen was buried. It was lovely.

Lots of bronze statues.

We hung out at Nyhavn and ate waffles and ice cream.



Half way through the second day. Nate had to go meet his coworkers and I got to explore a little on my own. I found the most heart wrenching bronze statue in the yard of a little church.

It's a little hard to see in the picture. A woman has collapsed to the ground in grief as Death carries away her infant with swift strides.

I flew back alone to relieve Grandma from her four-boy burden and Nate stayed on another week for his work.







No comments: